abbycardshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abby Sports and Collectibles

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Journey to Nowhere and the Stack

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sam

Journey to Nowhere and the Stack Empty
PostSubject: Journey to Nowhere and the Stack   Journey to Nowhere and the Stack EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 5:18 pm

I heard of an interesting trick using the Zendikar common card, Journey to Nowhere. I was watching some draft videos and saw someone use Journey to Nowhere and Into the Roil in a way I didn't think possible.

1- Play Journey to Nowhere from my hand targeting your creature.
2- In response, play Into the Roil from my hand targeting Journey to Nowhere.

Now, because Into the Roil comes off the stack first Journey to Nowhere gets bounced back into my hand. Then, Journey to Nowhere's "enters the battlefield" effect comes off the stack, exiling your creature permanently.

Here is the vid, it happens at 3:38.
Channel LSV: Zendikar Draft #1 - Match 3, Game 1

This combo would also work with Narrow Escape
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Journey to Nowhere and the Stack   Journey to Nowhere and the Stack EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 5:28 pm

When searching around for info on the above Journey to Nowhere combo, I found a few more combo ideas for Journey. Kor Skyfisher enables many cool combos abusing the "enters the battlefield" mechanic. For example:

1- Cast Journey on one of your own creatures with a "enters the battlefield" triggered ability.
2- Cast Kor Skyfisher and return Journey to Nowhere to your hand
3- The creature you previously exiled re-enters the battlefield and it's ability triggers.

Imagine doing this in an ally deck! Other methods of bouncing your own Journey back into your hand work just as well, such as Into the Roil and Narrow Escape from the above post.

Check out this thread on the MTG forums for other ideas:
The Wizards Community > Thread - Journey to Nowhere trick?
Back to top Go down
Warren "The Proxy" Hallam

PostSubject: Re: Journey to Nowhere and the Stack   Journey to Nowhere and the Stack EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 5:07 am

This one only requires two cards: Vedalken Mastermind and Oblivion Ring. Play the Master on T2 or 3. Once you have four lands, play the O-Ring, with its CIP effect on the stack, tap your 4th land and the Master to bounce the O-Ring back into your hand. The whole thing resolves in reverse: O-Ring goes back in your hand, then state-based effects look to see that there is no card removed from play so nothing comes back in play, then O-Rings CIP effect goes off, removing your target from the game and it will never get brought back. You still have your O-Ring so you can do it again next turn.

It's all about the way the card is worded with two separate clauses being put on the stack

I really like kor skyfisher, at 2 mana it's aggressively costed, is above the 2 toughness threshold (which is a big deal in zen), has early evasion and allows for a lot of neat tricks with landfall/kicker
Back to top Go down
Mythic Matt

Mythic Matt

PostSubject: Re: Journey to Nowhere and the Stack   Journey to Nowhere and the Stack EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 11:55 pm

Journey to Nowhere and the Stack Facepalm_gif_by_thatweirdo7
Back to top Go down
Sipherus

PostSubject: Re: Journey to Nowhere and the Stack   Journey to Nowhere and the Stack EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 11:47 am

Admonition Angel would work like this. Drop a harrow and then into to the roil Admonition Angel while the lanfall abilities are on the stack.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Journey to Nowhere and the Stack   Journey to Nowhere and the Stack Empty

Back to top Go down

Journey to Nowhere and the Stack
Page 1 of 1