abbycardshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abby Sports and Collectibles

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

mana loss btwn phases

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

mana loss btwn phases Empty
PostSubject: mana loss btwn phases   mana loss btwn phases EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 2:30 am

if a card gives you mana in your upkeep, (or if you tap for mana in your upkeep). do you lose it before your main phase?

also, what is the exact order of phases?
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: mana loss btwn phases   mana loss btwn phases EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 3:53 am

Yes you do.

Quote :
106.4. When an effect produces mana, that mana goes into a player’s mana pool. From there, it can be used to pay costs immediately, or it can stay in the player’s mana pool. Each player’s mana pool empties at the end of each step and phase.

500.4. When a step or phase ends, any unused mana left in a player’s mana pool empties. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack.
Phases

Quote :
500.1. A turn consists of five phases, in this order: beginning, precombat main, combat, postcombat main, and ending. Each of these phases takes place every turn, even if nothing happens during the phase. The beginning, combat, and ending phases are further broken down into steps, which proceed in order.

501.1. The beginning phase consists of three steps, in this order: untap, upkeep, and draw.

506.1. The combat phase has five steps, which proceed in order: beginning of combat, declare attackers, declare blockers, combat damage, and end of combat. The declare blockers and combat damage steps are skipped if no creatures are declared as attackers or put onto the battlefield attacking (see rule 508.5). There are two combat damage steps if any attacking or blocking creature has first strike (see rule 702.7) or double strike (see rule 702.4).

512.1. The ending phase consists of two steps: end and cleanup.
Back to top Go down
Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

PostSubject: Re: mana loss btwn phases   mana loss btwn phases EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 pm

if 2 things happen at "the beginning of my upkeep", can i choose the order in which they happen?
Back to top Go down
Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

PostSubject: Re: mana loss btwn phases   mana loss btwn phases EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 12:49 pm

also, can i cast instant spells after i untap but before my upkeep?
Back to top Go down
Agamemnon

PostSubject: Re: mana loss btwn phases   mana loss btwn phases EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Guitar Hero wrote:
if 2 things happen at "the beginning of my upkeep", can i choose the order in which they happen?

Yes you can
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: mana loss btwn phases   mana loss btwn phases EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 4:51 pm

You can't do anything during untap steps except untap stuff.
Quote :
502.3. No player receives priority during the untap step, so no spells can be cast or resolve and no abilities can be activated or resolve. Any ability that triggers during this step will be held until the next time a player would receive priority, which is usually during the upkeep step. (See rule 503, “Upkeep Step.”)
When multiple things happen simultaneously, you chose in what order they resolve in APNAP order.
Quote :
101.4. If multiple players would make choices and/or take actions at the same time, the active player (the player whose turn it is) makes any choices required, then the next player in turn order (usually the player seated to the active player’s left) makes any choices required, followed by the remaining nonactive players in turn order. Then the actions happen simultaneously. This rule is often referred to as the “Active Player, Nonactive Player (APNAP) order” rule.
Back to top Go down
Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

PostSubject: Re: mana loss btwn phases   mana loss btwn phases EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 11:17 pm

cool, thanks.

i thought a way around my potential problem anyway.
Back to top Go down
Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

PostSubject: Re: mana loss btwn phases   mana loss btwn phases EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 12:46 pm

so is it possible to path to exile an archdruid at the beginning of Brandons's turn before his untap step?

or would it work duirng his upkeep? He could tap the archdruid for mana, but it would be lost before his main phase right?
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: mana loss btwn phases   mana loss btwn phases EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Quote :
501.1. The beginning phase consists of three steps, in this order: untap, upkeep, and draw.
The earliest you could cast PtE is during the upkeep step. Brandon could tap his druid for mana in response. The mana produced by the druid would empty from Brandon's pool at the end of the upkeep step. Therefore, Brandon can only use that mana to cast instants or activate abilities and only before he draws his card for the turn.

I see what you are getting at, and it is a great idea to PtE during an upkeep because then the land granted stays tapped throughout the rest of the turn.
Back to top Go down
Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

PostSubject: Re: mana loss btwn phases   mana loss btwn phases EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 12:52 am

Can I cast a lightning bolt in response to sureal memoir rebounding during my upkeep step?

that way--the bolt resolves and goes to the graveyard, then assuming it is the only instant in the graveyard, the memoir resolves putting the bolt back in my hand.
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: mana loss btwn phases   mana loss btwn phases EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 2:10 am

Yes you can.
Quote :
* Surreal Memoir isn't targeted. You don't choose an instant card at random from your graveyard until it resolves. Once you randomly select a card, it's too late for players to respond.

* If you have only one instant card in your graveyard as Surreal Memoir resolves, that's the one you'll return to your hand.
Back to top Go down
Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

PostSubject: Re: mana loss btwn phases   mana loss btwn phases EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 2:52 am

cool. i thought so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mana loss btwn phases   mana loss btwn phases Empty

Back to top Go down

mana loss btwn phases
Page 1 of 1