abbycardshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abby Sports and Collectibles

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Protection from Banefire

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sam

Protection from Banefire Empty
PostSubject: Protection from Banefire   Protection from Banefire EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 1:13 am

This came up in a game I played today.

Brandon cast Banefire targeting a white creature I controlled and paid 5 (or more, I forget) for X. This makes Banefire uncounterable and the damage unpreventable. In response, I cast Brave the Elements chosing red. What happens?

Quote :
702.14b A permanent or player with protection can’t be targeted by spells with the stated quality and can’t be targeted by abilities from a source with the stated quality.
Quote :
2/1/2009 Banefire's ability won't prevent it from being countered by the game rules if its target has become an illegal target.

Banefire is countered!
Back to top Go down
Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

PostSubject: Re: Protection from Banefire   Protection from Banefire EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 2:32 pm

it says on banefires notes that you can do that.

vines of Vastwood would work too.
Back to top Go down
Warren "The Proxy" Hallam

PostSubject: Re: Protection from Banefire   Protection from Banefire EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Banefire is immune to things like counterspell / safe passage and any other card that uses the words "counter" or "prevent" in it's rule text

everything else is fair game.
Back to top Go down
Mythic Matt

Mythic Matt

PostSubject: Re: Protection from Banefire   Protection from Banefire EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 1:40 am

Sam wrote:
This came up in a game I played today.

Brandon cast Banefire targeting a white creature I controlled and paid 5 (or more, I forget) for X. This makes Banefire uncounterable and the damage unpreventable. In response, I cast Brave the Elements chosing red. What happens?

Quote :
702.14b A permanent or player with protection can’t be targeted by spells with the stated quality and can’t be targeted by abilities from a source with the stated quality.
Quote :
2/1/2009 Banefire's ability won't prevent it from being countered by the game rules if its target has become an illegal target.

Banefire is countered!

Wait...

The damage would still happen. Even if your target is illegal the damage still happens, because of the TCG golden rule:
A can't always gains priority over a can even if it breaks the rules.

For example one M10 card allows you to have no hand limit, but that goes against the rules...
a golden and general rule in trading card games is that if a card goes above and beyond the rule book then it's played out as the card would happen.

Last edited by Mythic Matt on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Warren "The Proxy" Hallam

PostSubject: Re: Protection from Banefire   Protection from Banefire EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 2:13 am

I believe it only counts when the card specifically says "prevent damage" such as is the case with safe passage. Making a creature an illegal target or giving it shroud is not the same thing
Back to top Go down
Brandon C

Brandon C

PostSubject: Re: Protection from Banefire   Protection from Banefire EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 2:10 pm

Yah sorry Sam looks like I scammed you. Didn't know it worked like that but the way the rule says it makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Protection from Banefire   Protection from Banefire Empty

Back to top Go down

Protection from Banefire
Page 1 of 1