abbycardshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abby Sports and Collectibles

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Warren "The Proxy" Hallam

Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers Empty
PostSubject: Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers   Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers EmptyWed May 26, 2010 7:17 pm

I've noticed a lack of aggressive planeswalkers, that is to say a walkers who would facilitate an all out rush down strategy (like something you'd see in RDW or Boros)

Since both the current red walkers are too expensive to cast early and have effects that don't particularly lend themselves to playing aggressively I threw together what I thought would be a good example of an all out attack walker.

Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers Captur10

The focus of this card was to prevent your opponent from blocking or trying to turtle. If they don't open themselves up and take loyalty off her, you sneak through a free 4 damage making them question if they should swing in or leave a blocker back, and if they do, you use the - ability to push through damage regardless

What are your thoughts? Over or under powered? Too expensive? The +1 doesn't offer any kind of protection (ala garruk, elspeth etc) which is the hallmark of all the current succesful walkers ( save for jace 2.0 who has a bounce)

Would you play this card?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers   Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers EmptyWed May 26, 2010 8:40 pm

I was also thinking of giving her an additional +1 that would read:

Create a 1/1 elemental haste, trample token that dies at end of turn, sort of a mini hell spark
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers   Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers EmptyWed May 26, 2010 8:41 pm

This card can only be used in RDW because of the casting cost.

The +1 is terrible. For RRR, the card should be doing 4-6 dmg not 1.
The -1, while good, Smoldering Spires does it better as it only costs a virtual R (comes into play tapped).
The -4 seems irrelevant as the earliest it can occur is turn 5 which is too slow. Not that this walker will live that long anyways as it is too fragile.

Abilities I would prefer:
-Sacrifice target creature you control, deal dmg equal to that creature's power to target player.
-Deal 3(4?) dmg to target creature.
-Target creature you control gains haste, destroy it at end of turn.
-Deal X dmg to all creatures without flying.
-Destroy target non-basic land.
etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers   Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers EmptyThu May 27, 2010 12:07 am

-Target creature you control gains haste, destroy it at end of turn.

I had thought about this seems like a legit choice to me

The -1, while good, Smoldering Spires does it better as it only costs a virtual R (comes into play tapped).

Yeah I was looking for a way to reproduce that ability without the temp loss

The -4 seems irrelevant as the earliest it can occur is turn 5 which is too slow. Not that this walker will live that long anyways as it is too fragile.

The idea was to make her very disposable and this way the opponent ether has to open themselves up by attacking into the walker or take the 4 damage regardless.

I was also playing with the idea of giving her a 0 ability "if this planeswalker leaves play at any point during it's controller or opponents next turn, target player takes 4 damage" as a kind of self destruct deterrent and to encourage the player to use her up for quick damage and fits reds theme. Could be 4 damage to all players for balance reasons.

This card can only be used in RDW because of the casting cost.

That's basically the idea, I mean i'm also comfortable with RR1 triple costed just allows for more powerful abilities since it's a greater commitment and this is a 3 cost walker
Back to top Go down
Brandon C

Brandon C

PostSubject: Re: Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers   Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Seems decent. I really like the first ability Sam suggested though (Fling) where you can sac a creature to deal dmg equal to its power to target creature/player. Would fit really well in RDW in conjunction with things like Ball Lightning/Hellspark Elemental, and even if it was just a -1 ability, don't think it would be overpowered since it would only be usable at sorcery speed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers   Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers Empty

Back to top Go down

Aggresivly Costed Planeswalkers
Page 1 of 1